Persistent Energy Partners is an investment firm that partners with and invests in businesses providing access to clean energy for rural households and businesses in sub-Saharan Africa. With offices in Accra, Dar es Salaam and New York, we manage a portfolio of more than 30 investments in the clean energy sector.
Since our launch in November 2012, our focus has been on reaching the rural off-grid energy market by developing businesses that sell solar-powered energy services. These services include lighting and mobile phone charging that can cost a rural household less than the current cost of kerosene or batteries for inferior lighting. Solar energy services can power radios, TVs and other appliances that are leased or purchased by households that can afford them. At Persistent Energy, we firmly believe that the way to electrify off-grid Africa is through installation and operation of solar micro grids and other systems that deliver energy services for a fee, rather than selling solar home products directly to rural households and businesses.
Providing access to clean energy using a commercial/business model as opposed to a donor model means investing in venture growth businesses; we support entrepreneurs who are introducing new technologies and techniques to provide rural Africans with access to clean, affordable energy.
We invest different ways in our companies. For instance, we provide
- Financial modeling and business planning;
- Advice and assistance in capital raising;
- Strategic advice on legal, finance, accounting, procurement and technology;
- Advice on local regulatory matters; assistance with local government approvals;
- Assistance in securing grants;
- Advice, introductions and assistance securing strategic partners and other business relationships; and
- Investments in promising businesses.
Please contact us for more information.